OHSAS 18001 is the international management systems specification for Occupational Health and Safety (OHS). The system is designed to enable companies to demonstrate their committment to their workforce in providing a safe and efficient work environment. To accomplish this, companies must understand and identify their OHS risks and, using the plan-do-check-act program for continual improvement, seek out ways to actively manage these opportunities.
ISOmatrix is extremely experienced in implementing OHSAS 18001 systems inside companies both with existing ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 systems as well as ground up development of combination systems. OHSAS 18001 is designed to be compatible with the process elements of ISO 9001 such as:
- Document control
- Internal Auditing
- Corrective Action
- Preventative Action
This makes for easy integration of Quality Management Systems (QMS)and Environmental Management Systems (EMS).
- A formal Health and Safety management system will provide the following benefits:
- A system for continually identifying legal and other requirements
- A clear management structure delegating authority and responsibility
- A clear set of objectives for improvement, with measurable results
- A structured approach to risk assessment within the organization
- A planned and documented approach to health and safety
- The monitoring of health and safety management issues, auditing of performance and review of policies and objectives.
Time spent on improving an organization's health and safety could provide a financial return in terms of:
- Reduced accidents and occupational ill health
- Reduced stress and greater productivity
- An improvement in underwriting risk
- A reduction in the likelihood of paying regulatory compliance fees.
for an OHSAS 18001 system also qualifies for training reimbursement like the California ETP fund